Wednesday, October 13, 2004

A Ghost From the Past

Danielle. My former roommate. Has, aparently, returned to Arizona. And I admit that I'm scared.

Danielle had the following motis opperandi while I was living with her: Attach to a guy with some money, sleep with him and soak him for what he could provide. Move on when you get bored. The practical extention of all of this was that she didn't work for herself, and all her rent payments wound up coming from her ex-boyfriend back east who happened to be the co-signer on the lease. Poor guy.

So she calls me, out of the blue, and asks me: What's up? I continued the conversation in forced polite questions because I had nothing else to go on, I had no idea what to say to her. I'd barley survived being her roomate, so what do I talk to her about?

I unloaded point blank with both barrels and asked her why she lived like she did. I also told her to cut the crap and give me a straight answer. I have no ability to harm you, I reminded her, and so you can tell me the truth with no consequences.

It was just an easy way to live she said. Confiremd that it had, in fact, been the way she was going about things, and only added that she cared more about her own comfort and survival than anything else. What was a mystery to me was why she left me relatively unmolested in this practice. She replied that she didn't want to exploit me. Ok...

So I told her that if she shaped up and started making serious efforts to fix things, with no bullshit between us, then she coudl come back and we could hang out again. I expect nothing, I won't be waiting on the line, but if, in the week deadline I've given her to establish that she's got at least a line on a real serious job, then we can have coffee, or something.

I didn't tell her where I live, and I don't think I ever will. She couldn't do anything with the information, but it just seems anathama to me to tell her for some reason. I don't trust her yet. I may not ever again. I do love her, but liking her will have to wait for some proof of serious good intentions.

Wait and see.


Alexey the Sinner

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would be "modus."

it has not yet been a week, but i have some news to report.

i will call you before wednesday.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home